Grilled Green Bean and Arugula Salad
Recipe Type: Vegetable Side
Top this with grilled flank steak and serve with a roasted sweet potato for a complete meal!
- For Salad:
- 8 oz (1/2 lb) green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula, rinsed and patted dry (can substitute spinach leaves)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) crumbled blue cheese
- 16 pecan halves, toasted (optional)
- For honey-lemon vinaigrette
- (This will make extra for additional salads (about 1/2 cup dressing). Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week)
- 1 Tbsp local honey
- 1 Tbsp minced red onion (or shallot)_
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp dried)
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- For dressing:
- Combine honey, onion and tarragon in a small bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and zest, salt and vinegar. Whisking, stream in olive oil. Season to taste with pepper.
- For salad:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Prepare an ice bath by placing ice and water in a large bowl.
- Drop beans in boiling water and blanch for 1 minute.
- Drain and place beans in ice bath for 5 minutes to stop cooking.
- Drain and return to bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place a layer of heavy duty foil on grill and grill beans until just slightly charred, turning halfway through cooking, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly.
- Place arugula, cooled beans, blue cheese and pecans (if using) in large salad bowl. Add 2 Tbsp prepared dressing and toss to coat. Serve with 3 oz of grilled flank steak or chicken and small roasted sweet potato for a complete meal!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups salad; 1 Tbsp dressing Calories: 240 calories Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 14g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 699mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 7g Cholesterol: 13mg
2 Vegetable 2 Healthy Fat