Southern Style Shrimp and Grits
Recipe Type: Dinner
A hearty meal for a cold winter evening.
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry grits
- 1/2 cup 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil-based margarine (Ex: Smart Balance)
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced okra (can use frozen, just thaw prior to using)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (both green and white parts)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- Lemon slices, to serve
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Additional green onions or Italian parsley for serving (optional)
- Bring milk and chicken broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Stream in grits and whisk to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking occasionally, over low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and margarine and whisk to combine until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and dredge in flour to coat.
- Saute floured shrimp in skillet until golden brown on the outside and just pink on the inside (about 2-4 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from pan and set aside (cover with tin foil to keep warm).
- Wipe out pan with a damp paper towel to remove excess flour from shrimp.
- Heat additional 1 tsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and okra and saute 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and garlic and saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add cooked shrimp back to skillet, and saute until heated through, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve 1/2 cup grits in each bowl topped with 1/4 of shrimp and veggie mixture.
- Garnish with hot sauce, lemon wedges, parsley and additional green onion, if desired.
Serving size: 1/2 cup grits, 1/4 lb shrimp and vegetable mix Calories: 351 Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 30g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 362mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 34g
4 Protein 1 Starch 1 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat