Every Registered Dietitian is a Nutritionist, but not every Nutritionist is a Registered Dietitian.
What is a Registered Dietitian?
Registered Dietitians (credential R.D.) are leading experts in food and nutrition. Although many people claim to be nutrition experts or may even call themselves “nutritionists”, only Registered Dietitians have completed rigorous academic and real-world training approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Becoming an RD requires a 4-year Bachelor’s Degree plus at least 1200 hours of supervised training, followed by passing a national examination. RD’s may be very different than individuals who advertise themselves as “Nutritionists” or “Nutrition Coaches”. Some Nutrition certifications are weekend-long programs and no true scientific expertise. For top-tier scientific and medically-based nutrition counseling, be sure to seek out a Registered Dietitian. read more
How can A Registered Dietitian Help Me?
Here are just a few examples as to how you can benefit from a nutrition consulting program with an RD:
- Education on how various foods and nutrients impact your body, dietary strategies for weight management or disease prevention/treatment, principles on sports nutrition, pregnancy/breastfeeding nutritional facts, and Medical Nutrition Therapy*
- Practical skills to help you achieve your goals when faced with daily life, including: recipes, grocery lists, meal plans, handouts, websites, apps, and more.
- Fitting it all together so you and your family, unborn baby, or friends can live healthy lived and reach your greatest and happiest potential
- Counseling on strategies to manage emotional eating, feelings of hunger and fullness, and many more.
A Registered Dietitian can…
- help teach you life skills to help lose and keep off weight for chronic illnesses like diabetes.
- help you set and achieve goals to improve your performance athletically.
- provide assurance and guidance that your newborn baby and you are receiving enough essential vitamins.
*What is Medical Nutrition Therapy?
Medical Nutrition Therapy goes above and beyond what’s on your plate. It involves RDs connecting the food and beverages you consume with the big picture of your health and well-being. MNT is founded on utilizing the Nutrition Care Process to provide comprehensive health care to patients to improve their quality of life and daily performance.
Medical Nutrition Therapy areas of focus at LMC include:
- Cardiovascular Diseases: hypertension, dyslipidemia, congestive heart failure
- Diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, Gestational
- Disease Prevention, general wellness
- Disordered Eating
- Food Sensitivity or Allergy
- GI Disorders: Celiac disease, constipation Crohn’s disease, IBS
- Sports Nutrition: training/recovery/performance, injury-rehab, Sports MNT, supplements
- Weight Management: overweight/obesity, underweight (adults and adolescents >13)
- Women’s Health: pregnancy, breastfeeding, osteoporosis, anemia
Contact LifeStyle Medical Center today for your consultation with a Durham area Registered Dietitian.
RDs at LifeStyle Medical Center are all Licensed by the State of North Carolina Board of Nutrition and Dietetics and have expertise in the above MNT areas. In addition, they have specialized training in:
- Adolescent and Adult Weight Management
- Eating Disorders
- Exercise Physiology
- Herbs and Supplements
- Intuitive Eating
- Prenatal and Breastfeeding Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition