Collard-Wrapped Turkey Burritos
Serves: 6 servings
These are even better than the original!
- 6 large collard green leaves, free from holes
- 1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 pack Mrs. Dash salt-free Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 15-oz can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- Jarred Salsa
- 2 small avocados, chopped
- Low Fat Sour Cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and submerge the collards for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and set the collard leaves aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute 10 min. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning mix and saute until turkey is cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rinsed bean.
- Lay one collard flat, vein side up. Spoon 1/2 cup turkey and bean mixture onto the trimmed end of the collard and sprinkle with 1 oz cheese. Top with 2 Tbsp chopped avocado and 1-2 Tbsp salsa, to taste. Fold each side over the filling and roll like a burrito. Repeat with remaining collard leaves.
- Arrange the burritos in the baking dish and bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve topped with lowfat sour cream, if desired.
Serving size: 1 “burrito” Calories: 225 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 15g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 156mg Protein: 23g
3 Protein 0.5 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat