Creamy Squash and Pumpkin Soup with Chicken and Kale
This tastes even better reheated the next day for lunch or dinner. Add extra kale or spinach to increase veggies!
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (you can find this already prepared int eh produce section of most supermarkets)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (no salt added)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- chopped fresh cilantro and peanuts for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and squash cubes and saute until golden and squash is slightly tender, about 12-15 minutes. Add garlic and spices and saute another minute.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, tomato paste and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat until squash is soft. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until well blended.
- Allow to cool slightly. Ladle ½ mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Return blended mixture to pan with unblended mixture.
- Add cooked shredded chicken and stir to combine. Serve warm, garnished with chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts, if desired.
3 Protein 1.5 Starch 1 Healthy Fat 1 Vegetable
Serving size: 1 cup soup Calories: 302 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 25g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 187mg Protein: 23g