Curried Summer Squash Soup
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Recipe type: Soup
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Summer Squash, Curry
Serves: 4 (1½ cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb yellow summer squash, chopped (about 2 large)
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp curry power
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed (sub vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
- ½ cup chopped basil, plus additional for garnishing
- Heat oil in a large, wide-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add squash and onion and saute until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices, through pepper. Saute another 2-5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add chopped basil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend this in batches in a stand blender.
- Serve warm with additional chopped basil, if desired.