Fall Harvest Stuffed Squash
Serves: 8 servings
You can use lean ground beef, chicken or veggie crumbles in place of turkey if preferred.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (7% fat or less)
- 4 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium pears, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen kale (or spinach), cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Place squash halves skin side up on baking sheet and roast 30 minutes. Turn squash over and roast another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cover with foil to keep warm. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet. Add turkey and chopped onion and saute until onion is tender and turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Add chopped pears and garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cranberries, quinoa, vinegar, walnuts, sage, allspice, and ground pepper. Stir to combine well.
- Stuff about 3/4 cup turkey mixture into each squash half. Cover baking sheet with foil and bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes to brown topping.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 squash half with 3/4 cup stuffing Calories: 261 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 26g Sodium: 57mg Protein: 15g
2 Protein 1 Starch 1 Fruit 1 Vegetable 2 Healthy Fat