Grilled Pork Chops with Balsamic-Basil Strawberries and Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Recipe Type: Main Course
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 (4 oz each) bone-in pork chops, about 1/2-in thick, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups (1 pint) strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- dash ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 1 Tbsp Smart Balance spread
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- Place pork chops in a large Ziploc bag. Combine honey through red pepper flakes, if using, in a small bowl.
- Pour marinade over chops and allow to sit in refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- Place sliced berries in a medium bowl. Whisk together vinegar, sugar and pepper and pour over berries, tossing to coat. Let sit in refrigerator at least 1 hour. Removed and toss with basil to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce each sweet potato with a knife several times and wrap with tin foil. Place wrapped potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until soft, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to be handled.
- Peel skin from cooled potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add Smart Balance, broth, garlic and spices, if using, and stir well. Using an electric mixer, whip potatoes until smooth, adding more broth if needed. Season to taste with pepper.
- Remove pork from refrigerator and discard marinade. Heat grill to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Grill pork chops until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let rest. Top each chop with berry mixture to serve.
Serving size: 4 oz chop, 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 cup sweet potato
4 Protein 2 Starch 1 Fruit