Grilled Sausage and Pepper with Pesto and Creamy Grits
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Recipe type: Main Course
Cuisine: Chicken, Italian
Serves: 4 (1/4 sausage and pepper mixture and 1 cup grits)
- For sausage and peppers
- 4 links (about 12 oz) low fat chicken Italian sausage, such as Al Fresco fresh hot Italian chicken sausage
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 2 green peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 Tbsp bottled pesto
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- For grits:
- 1 cup uncooked white grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-oz can chicken broth
- ¾ cup 1% (or skim) milk
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and spray grill racks with cooking spray.
- Place sausages, onion quarters and peppers (inside down) on racks and grill until
- done, turning halfway through grilling time, about 5-6 minutes for sausages and
- -8 minutes for vegetables.
- Remove from heat and slice sausages and cut vegetables into 2-in pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add pesto and vinegar and toss to coat.
- Bring water through milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add uncooked grits and reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring frequently with a whisk, until grits are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional freshly ground pepper.
Serving size: ¼ sausage and pepper mixture; 1 cup grits Calories: 276 calories Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 22g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 633mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 22g Cholesterol: 68mg