Mushroom and Swiss Burgers with Grilled Rutabaga Fries
A meal perfect for summer entertaining cooked entirely on the grill!
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 lb lean ground beef (less 10% fat or less)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, divided
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise (made with olive oil is preferred)
- 1 4-oz can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper, divided
- 2 lbs rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-in thick wedges
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary (optional)
- Combine ground beef, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and ½ tsp ground pepper in a bowl. With hands, form into 6 patties.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tsp Worcestershire and remaining ingredients (through ½ tsp ground pepper) and stir well to mix together.
- Place rutabaga wedges in large bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs and toss to coat. Place on a large sheet of tin foil, cover with another piece and crimp up edges to form a pouch. Piece top of pouch with a knife to create small holes for steam to vent.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place pouch on one half of grill and grill 15-20 minutes, until rutabagas are cooked through and lightly browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, grill burgers on the other half of the grill, 4-5 minutes for the first side. Flip burgers and grill another minute.
- Add 2 Tbsp of topping to each burger and continue grilling until desired doneness and cheese has melted, about another 2-3 minutes for medium burgers.
- Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
3 Protein 1 Starch 1 Vegetable
Serving size: 1 burger, 1 cup rutabaga