Potato and Asparagus Hash with Poached Egg
Recipe Type: Breakfast
- 1 lb small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fennel seed (optional)
- 1 bunch (1 lb) asparagus, rough ends trimmed off and cut into 1/2-in segments
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz shredded reduced fat cheese
- Chop potatoes into 1/2-in pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped potatoes, onion and dried herbs and saute 5 minutes. Add asparagus pieces and minced garlic and saute another 5 minutes, or until potatoes and asparagus begin to brown and are tender. Add salt and pepper and continue to cook, scraping up browned bits in the pan until golden brown.
- Crack each egg on top of cooked veggies, leaving enough space in between so that they stay separate. Cover pan with lid and cook 5 min or until eggs are cooked through. Sprinkle cheese over hash and eggs, cover and cook until melted, about another 2-3 minutes. Serve with salsa, if desired.
Serving size: 1/2 cup hash; 1 egg Calories: 295 Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 27g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 376mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 17g
1 Protein 1 Starch 1 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat