Quick Chicken and Herbed Dumplings with Kale
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme (can substitute herbs de province seasoning or dried rosemary)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup chopped parsley, divided
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups kale, rinsed, tough stems removed, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk (skim or low fat)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, thyme, bay leaf, and ¼ cup parsley, and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and broth, season to taste with pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. In last 5 minutes of cooking, add kale.
- While soup is cooking, combine flour, remaining ¼ cup parsley, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk and stir until well combined.
- Spoon tablespoons full of dumpling mixture into cooked soup and cook until dumplings rise to the top of the liquid, indicating they are done. Discard bay leaf and serve.
4 Protein 2 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat
Serving size: 1½ cups soup Calories: 419 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 44g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 598mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 38g