Quick Chicken and Herbed Dumplings with Kale
Recipe Type: Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme (can substitute herbs de province seasoning or dried rosemary)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup chopped parsley, divided
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups kale, rinsed, tough stems removed, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk (skim or low fat)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, thyme, bay leaf, and ¼ cup parsley, and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and broth, season to taste with pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. In last 5 minutes of cooking, add kale.
- While soup is cooking, combine flour, remaining ¼ cup parsley, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk and stir until well combined.
- Spoon tablespoons full of dumpling mixture into cooked soup and cook until dumplings rise to the top of the liquid, indicating they are done. Discard bay leaf and serve.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup Calories: 419 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 44g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 598mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 38g
4 Protein 2 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat