Cheesy Quinoa with Yellow Squash and Herbs
Recipe Type: Main Course
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided (substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash (about 2 small); or a combination of yellow and zucchini squash
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (optional)
- 1 (14-oz) can reduced sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (2 oz) 2% Milk Italian shredded cheese blend
- ½ cup (2 oz) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine quinoa and 2 cups broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. . Add sliced squash and onion. Saute 3 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Add garlic and herbs and saute another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place rinsed and drained beans in blender and add ½ cup broth. Puree until smooth.
- Combine cheeses and set aside.
- Combine quinoa, squash mixture, pureed beans, and half of cheese mixture in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ½ cup broth, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into an 8×8-in baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 35 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups Calories: 311 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 42g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 647mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 18g Cholesterol: 46mg
1 Protein 1.5 Starch 1 Vegetable