Slow Cooker Thai Chicken and Veggies over Coconut Grits
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 2-in pieces
- 1 14-oz can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp red curry paste (optional for spice)
- 4 cups frozen non sauce added Asian veggie mix (red peppers, mushrooms, snap peas, broccoli, carrots, etc), thawed
- 1 cup dried grits
- 2 cups almond-coconut milk (or lowfat milk)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup shaved unsweetened coconut flakes
- Chopped cilantro, green onion and lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Combine chicken through curry paste, if using, in the bowl of a slow cooker and cover with lid. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from sauce, using a slotted spoon, and place in a large bowl. Using two forks, shred chicken.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and keep on low. Place thawed veggies into cooker and cook until heated through, about another 15 minutes.
- Bring milk, water and soy sauce to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gently stream in grits and whisk well. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Add coconut flakes and stir well.
- Serve chicken mixture over grits and garnish with cilantro, lime wedges and green onions, if desired.
Serving size: 1/2 cup grits, 1 cup chicken and veggie mixture
4 protein 1 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat