Southwestern Shredded Chicken and Greens
The hot shredded chicken mixture encourages the leafy greens to wilt slightly which gives them a nice tender texture. NOTE: If your end product yields too much liquid, remove the lid of the slow cooker and continue to cook the mixture over high heat to encourage evaporation.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 14 oz can low sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz can diced green chilies, mild
- 15 oz can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained (can use pinto beans if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3-in pieces
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- TO SERVE/GARNISH:
- Large bunch or bag of leafy greens: ex. baby kale, spinach
- 2 avocados, diced (1/4 avocado per serving)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- chopped green onions (optional)
- plain nonfat greek yogurt (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Turn on slow cooker to high heat setting.
- Add first 10 ingredients to the slow cooker (onion through cumin).
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon, ensure chicken pieces are covered with liquid.
- Cook on high heat setting for 6 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces from pot and shred with a fork.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and stir to mix well.
- Use slotted spoon to serve chicken mixture over 2-3 cups of greens.
- Top with 1/4 of an avocado, chopped, and additional garnish if desired.
Serving size: 1 cup chicken over 3 cups greens and 1/4 avocado Calories: 276kcal Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 25g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 317mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 23g
3 Protein 1 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat