Spaghetti Squash Meatball "Muffins"
Serve with a tossed salad for a complete meal.
Author: Molly Devine, RD
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean or greater)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning blend (salt free)
- ½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 jar marinara sauce (less than 7 g sugar)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place spaghetti squash, cut side down, on baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Using a fork, scoop the squash threads from the skin and place in a large bowl.
- While squash is cooking, combine beef, cheese, 1 egg beaten, seasoning, garlic powder and salt in large bowl. Mix with a fork or hands until well combined and form into 12 large meatballs about 1½ inches in diameter.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake in oven with squash until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Pour jarred sauce into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add cooked meatballs and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Mix remaining 2 eggs into spaghetti squash. Line each cavity of a 12-muffin tin with the squash mixture, pressing down in the middle ot make a place for each meatball.
- Remove meatballs from sauce, reserving sauce, and place on atop each squash "nest".
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and serve with remaining sauce, if desired.
3 Protein 1 Starch
Serving size: 2 "muffins"