Sweet Potato, Spinach and Sausage Hashbrown Muffins
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Dairy, Egg
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) turkey (or chicken) breakfast sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cups shredded sweet potato (about 1 medium sweet potato)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 1 tsp fennel seed (optional)
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of excess water
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese (swiss or mozzarella are best, but whatever you have on hand would work!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and coast a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can line muffin tin with muffin/cupcake liners.
- Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, remove cooked sausage from pan and place on a layer of paper towels on a plate.
- Add shredded potato to pan and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add thyme, pepper and salt and continue to cook until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes total.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add cooked sausage, sweet potato, thawed spinach and shredded cheese. Stir well to combine.
- Divide egg mixture evenly into 12 muffin cups and bake until set and tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin to cool completely on cooling rack.
Serving size: 2 muffins Calories: 187 cal Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 505mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 13g
2 Protein 1 Starch 1 Vegetable[br][br]Note: These can be made ahead of time, frozen, and reheated before serving.