Thai Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
Recipe Type: Main Course
Cuisine: Beef, Thai
Serves: 4 (1/2 cup beef/veggie mixture, 1/3 cup rice, 2-3 lettuce leaves)
3 Protein 1 Starch 2 Vegetable 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (can use canola or olive oil as well)
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (4% fat)
- 1-2 tsp red curry paste, depending on heat preference (Thai Kitchen makes one and can be found in most grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce, no salt added
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (can substitute low sodium soy sauce if needed)
- 1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- I head iceburg or Boston Bibb lettuce
- Chopped cilantro and green onions, for garnish
- Heat sesame oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 8 minutes, stirring to break into crumbles.
- Stir in curry paste and tomato sauce and cook until half of liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice and zest, brown sugar and fish sauce, and bring to a boil. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until thick.
- Remove outer largest 8 leafs from lettuce head and reserve. Chop remaining inner wedges and add to beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spoon beef and veggie mixture and rice into lettuce cups, garnishing with chopped cilantro and green onions. Roll and serve eat like a taco.
Serving size: 1/2 cup beef mixture; 1/3 cup rice, 2-3 lettuce wraps Calories: 358 calories Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 37g Sugar: 12g Sodium: 490mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 29g Cholesterol: 70mg